Pigeons can cause problems with hygiene, noise and even damage the structure of your balcony. In this article, we will find out how to get rid of pigeons from your balcony using homemade and natural repellents.
Homemade repellents to keep pigeons away
There are several simple and effective methods to create homemade repellents to keep pigeons away from your balcony. Here are a few :
- Household vinegar: Vinegar has a strong, acidic smell that pigeons don’t like. You can spray vinegar straight or diluted with water on surfaces where pigeons usually land. It is advisable to repeat the operation regularly to ensure its effectiveness.
- Essential oils : Essential oils like eucalyptus, peppermint and lemon have repellant properties for pigeons. Mix a few drops of these oils in a spray bottle with water and spray it on the pigeons’ favorite areas. Renew the application every week to maintain their repellent effect.
- Black soap : Black soap can also be used as a pigeon repellent. Mix a tablespoon of liquid black soap with a liter of water and spray this mixture on your balcony. Pigeons hate the smell of soap and will therefore avoid settling on your balcony.
Other tips to keep pigeons away from your balcony
In addition to homemade repellents, there are other tips to prevent pigeons from coming to your balcony:
- Reflective objects: Reflective objects can scare pigeons. You can install pieces of mirror, CDs or metal strips on your balcony to create reflections that disturb the pigeons.
- Anti-pigeon spikes: Anti-pigeon spikes are devices that you can attach to the edges of your balcony to prevent pigeons from landing. They are generally easy to install and can be found at most DIY stores.
- Taut thread: Stretching a thin plastic or stainless steel wire a few inches above surfaces where pigeons usually land can deter them from settling there. The wire should be taut enough to withstand their weight and throw them off balance when they try to land on it.
Natural repellents to keep pigeons away
In addition to homemade repellents, you can also use natural repellents to chase away pigeons from your balcony. Natural repellents have the advantage of being environmentally friendly and harmless to human health. Here are some examples :
- Repellent plants: Certain plants such as lavender, rosemary or peppermint are known for their repellent effect on pigeons. You can plant these aromatic herbs in pots on your balcony to keep them away.
- Peppers: Hot peppers are another natural way to repel pigeons. You can plant it on your balcony or spray a solution of crushed pepper and water on surfaces where pigeons usually land.
- Pigeon repellent sprays: There are repellent sprays specially designed to keep pigeons away. These products are often based on essential oils or other natural ingredients and can be applied directly to areas frequented by pigeons.
Precautions to take when using pigeon repellents
When using homemade or natural repellents to keep pigeons away from your balcony, it is important to take certain precautions:
- Follow the recommended dosages: Never use more than the recommended amount of repellents, as this could cause health problems for you and those around you.
- Pay attention to children and pets: Some substances used as repellents can be harmful to young children and pets. Take care that they do not come into direct contact with these products.
- Test on a small area first: Before using a homemade or natural repellent on your balcony, test it first on a small area to check that it does not cause any adverse reactions (strong odors, stains, etc.).
In conclusion, there are several methods to keep pigeons away from your balcony using homemade and natural repellents. Feel free to experiment with different solutions to find the one that best suits your situation.